The Program of Excellence allows our athletes the opportunity to showcase and prepare for the National Collegiate Athletic Association, USPORTS, the Professional Canadian Women's Hockey League, as well as the Canada Women's national ice hockey team.
About the Program of Excellence
The Program of Excellence established by the NGHA in 2018 to identify and allow elite female hockey players to participate in a highly competitive and favourable learning environment. By participating in the Program of Excellence, players are exposed to high calibre coaching and training methods designed to better prepare the players to compete against the top teams in the Province, Canada, and the United States.
The Program of Excellence, is designed to expose participants to the demands of playing at an Elite level. It allows for the long term development of our athletes by pooling our coaching resources and creating individual development programs for our players.
The goals of the program include: to introduce players, families and staff to high performance hockey, the Hockey Canada Program of Excellence and the Provincial Women’s Hockey League; to create a unique and special life and hockey experience for all players and staff involved; and to develop players and staff both on and off the ice.
The Program of Excellence seeks to provide an elite program with high standards of commitment, leadership and skill development. The program wants to prepare players to play at the highest levels possible such as; University, and possibly Provincial and National levels. It will do this by creating a culture of continuous improvement of the entire team and all players rather than individual statistics and winning all games.
Some of the ways we will achieve these goals are through:
- Shared ice practices between POE Teams (U22, U18, U15)
- Focus on:
- Individual player skill development (Edge work, passing shooting etc.)
- Position specific development
- Player feedback
- Focus on:
- Exposure to NCAA, USPORT and Hockey Canada Scouts
- Individualized feedback and development programs for players
- Player assessments throughout the season
- Individual Player meetings
- Goal setting and progress reports
- POE Training camp – 2 day get away for players and coaches only
- Team bonding & Building Activities
- Team Practices
- Individual Team & Player Meetings
- Goal setting
- Fun Activities
- Guest Speakers
- Off-ice Training
- Topic specific seminars that including nutrition, fitness, social media, mental health, leadership, recruitment and many others
- Recruiting and retaining the best coaching staff available
- Player affiliation with higher level teams- tracking
- Black and Red games- assist in player assessments
The defining factor in success within this program is the player and their commitment and dedication to achieve these goals. In order to achieve we will make every effort to develop individual skill. The goal is to get players to use their strengths to make the team stronger and instill confidence in the player.